Monday, May 13, 2013

Pet Of The Week: Danni

Hello dear readers! I am so excited to bring you very special edition of the PotW! Please say hello to Danni the Pit Bull Terrier! Now I love volunteering at the animal shelter. I look forward to my Sunday shifts all week long. But this past week something really awesome happened, and it was all because of Danni.

Danni posing for her picture!

While I was walking Danni, we decided to stop and sit in the grass for a few minutes and talk to another friend/shelter volunteer. Danni was rolling around on her back, climbing in my lap, and giving me kisses as we talked. After a few minutes a family of three walked by and asked what kind of dog Danni was. As soon as I said the words, "Pit Bull" the father tensed up and retracted his hand that was about to pet Danni's head, and made a comments about how Pit Bulls are scary dogs. 

I  calmly replied that no, they are not. Pit Bull Terriers, just like any other dog breed, are wonderful, loving, family dogs. Their behavior is a reflection of their breeding and training. Yes, Pits are strong, sturdy dogs. But, they can be gentle and affectionate too.

How could anyone not just melt over this sweet face!?


The father looked at me in disbelief, but gingerly went to pet Danni's head again. And without missing a beat, little Danni girl perked up her ears, wagged her tail, nuzzled her head into this strange man's hand and lovingly licked his wrist. The look on this families face when Danni did this was priceless. You could see that this tiny, brown Pit was changing their minds about the breed. That, maybe not all Pit Bulls are the vicious, unpredictable dogs that the media usually makes them out to be. 

As the family gushed over Danni, the other volunteer that we had been talking to explained the SAFER program to them. And how the shelter uses it to temperament test all of the dogs that come through there. They seemed impressed, and even mentioned that their teenage son was needing to do some community service for school credit, and that they would look into having him volunteer at the shelter!

Danni enjoying an off leash romp in the shelter's dog park

Now, like I said. I love volunteering at the shelter. But I live for moments like this one. I am so proud of Danni for showing these three people what it really means to be a Pit Bull! Danni has such an awesome spirit, and an amazing personality. And as much as I love seeing her on Sundays, this little girl needs a loving forever home. She is a young adult dog that LOVES to play fetch and roll in the grass. Danni is pretty petite, and has beautiful golden eyes. She would make a great running partner, but also loves to cuddle on the couch. 

If you think that Danni would be a good match for your family, please contact the Williamson County Animal Control & Adoption Center in Franklin TN or Check out their Pet Finder page for their other adoptable pets!

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great story! I'm so glad that he was willing to listen and have the oppotunity to see how sweet Pitbulls can be. I have an AmStaff/Lab mix and she is the most gentle, affectionate little thing. Licking is quite literally her favorite activity. She ran over to a little girl who was laying on the grass once and licked her face. The girl laughed her head off. It was adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too! Danni is such a sweet girl. And I got word that she was adopted this week! I am so happy for her and wish her the best of luck with her new family!!

    Madison

    ReplyDelete