Wednesday, June 12, 2013

St. Louis Road Trip: Part 1


Road Trip!!!!!

A few weekends ago Axle and I took a road trip up to St. Louis, Missouri to see my best friend Emily! Early on Friday morning we packed up the car, and began our (not too long) six hour car trip from Nashville to St. Louis. Axle is a surprisingly great car dog. I usually take him with me when I run errands, or on short day trips. But this was the first time I had taken him on a journey this long. 

I was pleasantly surprised that he ended up sleeping for the majority of of the car ride. (I think my books on tape put him to sleep, hehe) Except for about the first hour when he repeatedly tried to sneak sips of my coffee... We did end up stopping at a rest stop in Rand Lake, IL so we could stretch our legs and take a bathroom break. Axle was very excited to pee on every single tree at the rest stop, haha!


We found this kitschy little wooden statue at the rest stop.

After about 20 minutes we got back on the road. I was glad that we were able to make it through St. Louis before rush hour hit! We arrived at Emily's house just before 4 PM. It was great to finally be done driving for the day. And it was even better to see my BFF! 

It had been a few months since we had seen each other last, so it was great to once again be reunited. Emily and I have been best friends since middle school. She moved to St. Louis a few years ago, but we are able to keep in touch quite well. And when we do get to see each other in person, its like we just saw each other the day before!

 This little turtle was also waiting in the yard to greet us!

Another reason that I was so excited excited about this trip, was that Axle was going to be meeting his cousin (or at least who we believe to be his cousin) Dolly for the first time! Dolly was adopted by Emily and her boyfriend David from the same shelter where Paul I and adopted Axle. 

I had shared a photo of Dolly on my Facebook wall from the shelter's FB page. And when Emily saw the photo she just knew that Dolly needed to come home with them! So a few days later, her and David drove down from MO. to adopt her (and they made a pit stop in Nashville to pick me up for the ride too!
 Axle and Dolly's first picture together!

Anyways! We are convinced that Dolly and Axle are related. They are about the same age, they look extremely similar (both in build and markings), and their personalities are practically the same. When they first met Axle and Dolly were a little weary of each other, but by the end of the weekend they got along wonderfully! Dolly of course ended up being 'the boss' or the pair. Axle tends to be very submissive towards females. And Dolly was perfectly happy with that! Haha!


Check back soon for PART 2 of our STL Road Trip!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear of your fun road trip with pup in tow!
    Such a sweet photo of Axle and Dolly together, from that they do look very much alike - with such gorgeous alert faces too.

    Looking forward to part two!
    Best wishes, Danielle.
    http://underlandtowonderland.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will be posting part two very soon!

      Madison

      Delete